Close

Follow Lovin IE

PICS: This Home Was Destroyed By A Christmas Decoration

By Sarah

December 20, 2016 at 12:18am

Share:

Please, please be careful with your candles and Christmas decorations over the next few weeks. 

A woman’s house in Belfast was severely damaged after a Christmas tree decoration fell onto a small candle she had left burning by the fireplace. She reportedly had only left the house for a short while before discovering a fire in her sitting room when she returned.

Firefighters arrived at the scene and the fire was quickly extinguished, however the house has been badly smoke damaged.

Fire 1
Fire 2

A spokesperson for the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service has highlighted the dangers of unattended candles in the home and urges people to be careful over Christmas with fire safety, adding that it is a particularly busy time of year for firefighters due to “extra fire hazards such as candles, fairy tree lights, portable heaters, overloaded sockets and people using fires that have not been lit for some time”.

Check that your home has working smoke alarms and stay safe this festive season.

READ NEXT: Huge Crowds Protest Outside Dáil To Urge HSE To Fund New Cystic Fibrosis Drug

Share:

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Get the best of your city straight to your inbox.

I'd like to receive news and exclusive offers from Lovin IE including competitions, products, commercial partners and activities. By submitting this form you agree to our T&Cs and our privacy policy