11 Numbers That Prove Lego Is The Most Fascinating Company In The World
Embrace your inner child
The beauty of Lego lies within its simplicity – but behind that joyful world of colour and imagination lies a highly complex organisation.
An organisation that's been building bricks since 1932, but has since embraced open-source coding and robotics, and has partnered with some of the most successful movie studios in the world.
Here are 11 numbers that prove what a remarkable journey it's been for the Danish company.
1. Lego made 55 billion pieces in 2013
2. With a 24% margin, Lego is the most profitable of the big three toy manufacturers – and is the largest toy manufacturer in the world
3. 117,000 pieces of Lego are made every minute
4. Lego has made more than 760 billion pieces to date
5. The company is 84 years old, having been founded all the way back in 1932.
6. On average, every person on earth owns 102 Lego bricks
7. With a production of over 650 million tyres in 2014, the Lego Group is one of the world’s largest tyre manufacturers
8. The Taj Mahal is the biggest piece on sale, it has 5922 pieces
9. Lego sales peak in December, with 60% of the company's sales happening in the run-up to Christmas
10. Six eight-stud Lego bricks can be combined in over 915 million different ways
Two bricks can be combined 24 different ways, and three bricks 1,060 ways.
11. Five billion mini figures have been created
If they were a nationality, they would have a bigger population than any country in the world
The nature of Irish 'Lickarsery' and Harry Styles' sexuality... listen to the latest episode of Before Brunch. Subscribe here