Irish Restaurant Forced To Close Over "Live Rat Emanating From The Drain"
It posed 'a grave and immediate danger to public health'
Eight restaurants across the country were forced to close by the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) in September and it’s now emerged that one of them had a live rat on the premises.
A total of three closure orders were served on restaurants in Meath, two in Dublin and one each in Limerick, Cork, Tipperary and Galway. You can read the full list here.
The live rat was discovered in Khyber Garden on Market Street in Kells and the inspector’s report is alarming to say the least.
It says, ‘Rat droppings were evident in the boiler room off the kitchen and on the floor in the dry goods food storage area.
‘A live rat was observed in the rear yard beside a defective open drain. The rat emanated from the drain when the tap at the kitchen sink was switched on.’
The report added, 'The evidence of rat droppings and sighting of a live rat at the time of inspection, pose a grave and immediate danger to public health and the risk of contamination of food with pathogenic bacteria and foreign matter.'
Meanwhile, one of the Dublin restaurants on the closure list was forced to do so because 'live and dead insects were found throughout the premises'.