BREAKING: Phil Hogan offers 'fulsome' apology over Clifden golf event

By Megan Cassidy

August 23, 2020 at 12:33pm

Share:

EU Commissioner Phil Hogan has taken to Twitter to issue a 'fulsome' apology in the wake of the Oireachtas Society Golf event scandal.

He wrote on Twitter in a series of tweets:

'I wish to apologise fully and unreservedly for attending the Oireachtas golf society dinner on Wednesday night last.

'I want, in particular, to apologise to the wonderful healthcare workers, who continue to put their lives on the line to combat Covid 19 and all people who have lost loved ones during this pandemic.

'I acknowledge my actions have touched a nerve for the people of Ireland, something for which I am profoundly sorry.

'I realise fully the unnecessary stress, risk and offense caused to the people of Ireland by my attendance at such an event, at such a difficult time for all, and I am extremely sorry for this.

Advertisement

'I acknowledge that the issue is far bigger than compliance with rules and regulations and adherence to legalities and procedures. All of us must display solidarity as we try to stamp out this common plague.

'I thus offer this fulsome and profound apology, at this difficult time for all people, as the world as a whole combats Covid 19.

'I spoke to both the Taoiseach and the Tánaiste yesterday and I have listened carefully to their views, which I respect. I have been reporting to the President of the European Commission on all these matters in recent days.'

Speaking on RTÉ's Six One News on Friday, Taoiseach Micháel Martin called for the EU Commissioner to be 'more fulsome' in his response to the scandal.

Speaking to Catriona Perry, Mr Martin said:

Advertisement

"He should apologise. I think he should be far more fulsome in his response to this."

Earlier this week, a spokesperson for Hogan said "The Commissioner apologises for the distress caused by his participation."

Over 80 people including a significant number of government representatives were present at the golf event on Wednesday August 19 which was in apparent breach of government guidelines released on Tuesday August 18.

Read next: Canterbury responds to online controversy surrounding Irish jersey launch

Advertisement
Share:
Advertisement