The government is set to issue a ruling that will see the wearing of face coverings to be made compulsory on public transport.
It's thought that the introduction of compulsory face masks will allow for the reduction of distancing restrictions from two metres to one metre. As a result of this, capacity on buses and trains will be able to increase to 50%
The proposals are due to be discussed by the National Public Health Emergency Team today before being brought to Cabinet ahead of the beginning of phase 3 of Ireland's roadmap which begins on Monday. Transport Minister Shane Ross told RTE's Morning Ireland that passengers will be asked to wear face coverings on public transport "to protect people's health."
Also under discussion will be the introduction of travel 'air bridges' with countries that are considered safe. Minister Ross said that this is currently being examined and no countries have been nominated yet.
Earlier this month, the government launched a campaign on the wearing of face coverings in public. You can read more about that here.