We Irish have a lot to be thankful for. A neutral country, a generally sound population, and 40 shades of green. But the thing that really makes Ireland hard to leave is the humble Irish mammy.
They feed us, clothe us, and love us even when we're being incredibly annoying. A mammoth task to say the least.
We turned to the good people of Twitter to help us describe what exactly makes mother our dearest.
1. This sound piece of advice
2. The ways they show you that you're always a child to them
— Elaine Egan (@ElaineEgan_) July 22, 2016
3. This serious case of international love
I'm starting to think my mother has orchestrated the downfall of the British government in order to get me to move back home #IrishMammies
— Brona C. Titley (@bronactitley) July 11, 2016
4. The reminder that tough love is real love
Just heard a mother on Henry Street: "Well, you wouldn't be much use in the Easter Rising, crying over a balloon."
— Kevin McGee (@K__McGee) July 7, 2016
5. Keeping you clean by any means necessary
— Niall Calnan Walsh (@niallcw) July 3, 2016
6. For they hold the key to economic greatness
— Steph Taylor (@CriticalSteph) June 12, 2016
7. The stress of letting you down is almost too much
— Aisling Weldon (@AisWel) April 8, 2016
8. They keep your moral compass pointing straight
Even when you don't want it to.
— Megan Kelly (@megs_kelly1989) March 25, 2016
9. They'll rid you of notions fairly lively
10. They're the international ambassadors for real talk
Quote of the week.. "I've never heard of a sandwich without butter" #irishmammies
— Eva Corbett (@CorbettEva) December 17, 2015
11. They're as patriotic as they come
— Carol Smurf (@CarolSmurf) October 12, 2015
12. And they won't let anybody stand in their way
-what's wrong with it?
-it's a bastard.#irishmammies fixing the TV.
— aoife-grace moore. (@aoifegracemoore) September 23, 2015