Toxic asbestos and other hazardous materials were discovered over the weekend in Glenveagh National Park in Donegal, in a shocking incident in the popular tourist destination.
The materials were found dumped in the park grounds, according to The Journal, which led the Irish Wildlife Trust (IWT) to make an official complaint to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Donegal County Council.
Asbestos is a harmful material containing natural occurring mineral fibres that has been found to cause asbestos-related diseases, mainly lung cancers, when breathed in.
The material was commonly used in older buildings and has since become illegal to use in any form.
A spokesman for the Irish Wildlife Trust said that a number of other hazardous materials were also found in the park over the weekend.
“A large quantity of builder’s rubble was found in a small woodland across the road from the main entrance to the park. In another location, what we believe to be asbestos was found along a bog track.
"In addition to dumping, it was also seen that mechanical turf extraction using so-called ‘sausage machines’ continues to take place over large areas inside the national park in contravention of the national peatland strategy."
An IWT campaigns officer also added that to see dumping of these materials inside such a popular national park is “particularly distressing”.