What does a country that can't guarantee good weather do during June, July and August? Act like it's summer anyway, of course!
Year in, year out, we pray for a glorious heatwave, complain when we get one, and then act shocked when it goes away.
BUT, something that shocks us (in a good way) is the resilience of the Irish spirit, when it comes to the sun, or lack thereof.
Yaaaaas Ireland, yaaassss.
1. We are always prepared for random heatwaves
However rare they may be.
2. The national dish changes from potatoes to soft ice-cream
3. Because even if it lashes, we embrace it
Ain't no party like a massive rain party!
4. In fact, even comparing our abysmal meteorological conditions doesn't stop the craic
5. But when the sun DOES decide to come out, the whole country loses the plot
To the pub!
6. Even weather presenters go a little mad
7. Societal rules go out the window...
— Brian Murphy (@brimurdotcom) July 9, 2016
8. Adding a bit of colour to your translucent body is neither frowned upon nor ignored
Pink to make the boys wink, amirite?
9. And by God, if we say we're having a barbecue
We're having a bloody barbecue.
10. ...even if the weather is against us
11. Give a man some sun, and he'll swim for a day
Show a man some rain, and he'll swim forever.
Very Irish scene - 3 kids in a paddling pool - wearing wetsuits! #irishsummer
— Cormac Kinsella (@CormacKinsella) July 9, 2016
12. And even the flashest of dips in the sea means you deserve yourself a whole pile of scampi
13. Or pint
Actually, definitely a pint.
14. Places like this are less than 30 minutes from the city
15. And boy, do we get involved
Even if it is less then 5° in the water itself...
16. Though the super sporadic glimpses of sun may get to our heads a bit...
17. We wouldn't change it for the world
18. Well, maybe sometimes...
But that's it. We promise.
— Normanly Patricia M (@sligonian) July 4, 2016