Close

Follow Lovin IE

Asbestos May Be Airborne After This Wicklow Warehouse Blaze

By Sarah

December 20, 2016 at 12:18am

Share:

20 News Major Inci 4

Photo: Gary O'Neil

Local residents in Arklow town, Co Wicklow are being advised to stay indoors after an asbestos-roofed warehouse went on fire yesterday morning.

Locals reported flames coming from the roof and sides of the building after sounds of a "large explosion", according to Independent.ie. The incident occurred at 10am yesterday morning with firefighters from Arklow, Wicklow and Rathdrum rushing to the scene in an effort to control the blaze.

Local businesses were closed and residents were advised to stay indoors and close their windows after it was learned that the warehouse had been constructed with asbestos, with the fumes releasing this toxic chemical into the air.

The blaze continued all day with the fire eventually brought under control at 4pm, although emergency services stayed at the scene to monitor the ongoing situation.

READ NEXT: This GAA Club Is Giving Away A House In Its Christmas Raffle

Share:

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Get the best of your city straight to your inbox.

I'd like to receive news and exclusive offers from Lovin IE including competitions, products, commercial partners and activities. By submitting this form you agree to our T&Cs and our privacy policy