Close

Follow Lovin IE

The Eurovision Song Contest 2020 has been cancelled

By James Fenton

March 18, 2020 at 2:28pm

Share:

It has been confirmed that the Eurovision will not be taking place this year due to the uncertainty created by the spread of Covid-19.

In a statement issued this afternoon, Eurovision has said that 'it is with great regret that we have to announce the cancellation of the Eurovision Song Contest 2020 in Rotterdam. Over the past few weeks, we have explored many alternative options to allow the Eurovision Song Contest to go ahead.

'However, the uncertainty created by the spread of Covid-19 throughout Europe - and the restrictions put in place by the governments of the participating broadcasters and the Dutch authorities - means the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) has taken the difficult decision that is impossible to continue with the live event as planned.'

It is added organisers will 'continue a conversation regarding the hosting of the Eurovision Song Contest in 2021' with the city of Rotterdam and the full statement can be viewed in the post below...

Earlier this month, it was confirmed that Dublin Lesley Roy would be representing Ireland in the competition with her song Story Of My Life. This year's contest was due to take place from May 12 until May 16. In a video message, Eurovision Executive Supervisor Jon Ola Sand said that "the Eurovision Song Contest will come back stronger than ever"...

READ NEXT: Glastonbury 2020 has officially been cancelled

Share:

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Get the best of your city straight to your inbox.

I'd like to receive news and exclusive offers from Lovin IE including competitions, products, commercial partners and activities. By submitting this form you agree to our T&Cs and our privacy policy