A man has shared his horror at finding what he thought was a ‘dead mouse’ in his food after shopping at Lidl this week.
Customer Richard Leech noticed an awful smell coming from the packet of pilau rice he had just microwaved and realised something very questionable was inside the bag.
Sharing a photo of his grim discovery, he wrote, ‘Hi @LidlUK I wonder if you could let me know how this mouse got into my packet of rice?’
‘Now my house stinks of cooked mouse and my wife is uncontrollably vomiting.’
— Richard Leech (@richardleech90) October 22, 2018
Lidl has since issued an apology but said that the strange object inside the packet was actually mould.
They said: "It is never our intention for a customer to be dissatisfied in any way, and we were extremely sorry to see that this particular product did not meet the high standards that both we and our customers expect.
"Following contact with the customer, the matter was immediately escalated to our quality assurance team who, through their initial investigation with the supplier, were able to identify the foreign substance as mould.
“Whilst very rare, this can occur as a result of an extremely small hole in the pack.
"We only ever work with reputable accredited suppliers who have extensive controls and procedures in place to verify the quality of products.
"We are, therefore, very disappointed that our expected high standards were not met on this occasion, and are in ongoing contact with the customer on the matter."
Main image via @richardleech90