A bar claiming to be Ireland's first 'Covid free' pub opened its doors today in Aghamore, Co Mayo.
Eileen's Bar, which does not serve food, says that customers will be tested for coronavirus upon arrival and will be able to enjoy a drink in a testing area as they await the results.
Once they test negative they will be allowed to enter the pub where all social distancing and public health guidelines will still apply such as wearing a mask when out of your seat and regular hand sanitising.
Owner Donal Byrne says that the 15-minute testing system will keep the bar Covid-free. In a post on Facebook, followers were told that 'We here at Eileen’s would still like to be able to give our staff and customers an enjoyable but most importantly a safe Christmas and have thought long and hard about ways to do this. So, with that being said, Eileen’s are delighted to announce we will be opening this Thursday the 10th of December as the first COVID FREE pub in Ireland.'
✨EXCITING NEWS FROM EILEEN’S BAR!!!!✨
This time last year things were much different, we were rushing around to get...
Posted by Eileen’s Bar on Tuesday, December 8, 2020
Tests will cost €10 per person and an outline of the process can be read below...
- To book your reservation you can WhatsApp or Text us on 087 412 2745 and request your time and date along with letting us know how many of you will be joining us and their names. Please do not arrive if you haven’t received a confirmation message with arrival time.
- When you arrive for your reservation at Eileen’s there will be a designated area you will first go to at your allotted time where you will be tested for Covid by a trained tester.
- As you await the results of your test, you can enjoy a drink in the testing area.
- Once you and your party all test negative, you may enter the pub while still following guidelines (– masks, sanitizing, social distancing, table service, max 4 at a table, etc.)
- If you test positive you will not be able to enter the pub.
- Once in the pub, you may not leave and return later that evening.
- Testing will be carried out every evening prior to entry.
- Testing times are from 5:00pm – 07:00pm every evening.
- Regulars only.
- Must have a booking or testing and entry will not be permitted.
The Facebook post concluded by saying that 'Serving food does not mean you are safe, but Covid testing does.' Restaurants and gastropubs are currently open across Ireland under Level 3 restrictions. Current measures are expected to be reviewed in January.