Close

Follow Lovin IE

Here's The Weird Reason Why You Should Never Microwave A Hard-Boiled Egg

By kaylawalsh

December 12, 2017 at 3:23pm

Share:

Not everyone is a fan of hard-boiled eggs, but did you know they could actually be dangerous? 

Scientists decided to carry out a series of experiments after a man in the US allegedly suffered severe burns and hearing damage when an microwaved egg exploded in his mouth. 

For the experiments, hard-boiled eggs were heated in a water bath for three minutes. 

Nearly a third of the eggs exploded, making a bang measuring up to 133 decibels - that's louder than the sound of a chainsaw or thunderclap. 

Check out this insane YouTube video for an example of what it's like. 

However the scientists aren't too worried about the risks involved. 

"On a statistical basis, the likelihood of an egg exploding and damaging someone's hearing is quite remote. It's a little bit like playing egg roulette," they said. 

We wouldn't want to take that chance, would you?!

READ NEXT: These Are The Best Alcoholic Drinks If You're Determined Not To Ruin Your Health Streak This Christmas

Share:

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Get the best of your city straight to your inbox.

I'd like to receive news and exclusive offers from Lovin IE including competitions, products, commercial partners and activities. By submitting this form you agree to our T&Cs and our privacy policy