Close

Follow Lovin IE

  • Home /

  • News /

  • Experts Warn That Dogs Should Not Be Given This One Thing Over Christmas

Experts Warn That Dogs Should Not Be Given This One Thing Over Christmas

By James Fenton

December 21, 2017 at 8:51am

Share:

Looking to treat your pooch of the Christmas? Whatever you do, don't give them chocolate. 

That's the warning dished out by researchers at the University of Liverpool who have found that chocolate is four times more likely to be given to dogs around the festive season than any other time of the year. 

According to the Irish Times, sources of chocolate included bars and selection boxes, chocolate cake, liqueurs, advent calendars and Christmas tree decorations. Dogs are twice as likely to be treated with chocolate at Christmas time than at Easter. 

The researchers said:

'Here we describe significant peaks of chocolate intoxication, most notably at Christmas and to a lesser extent Easter presumably reflecting the enhanced availability of seasonally-related chocolate such as Easter eggs, chocolate Santa figurines and Christmas tree decorations, possibly in the hands of younger members of society.'

Chocolate contains theobromine, a stimulant similar to caffeine, that can cause vomiting, increased heart rate, agitation and seizures in dogs. 

To conclude, if you're flashed with the puppy dog eyes while scoffing on your Celebrations this year, just say "no".

READ NEXT: One Irish Baby Girl Name Is Going To Be All Over America Next Year

Share:

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Get the best of your city straight to your inbox.

I'd like to receive news and exclusive offers from Lovin IE including competitions, products, commercial partners and activities. By submitting this form you agree to our T&Cs and our privacy policy