14 Times Robbie Keane And His Family Stole The Hearts Of The American Public
The Keanes have left the building...
Former Irish captain and general national hero Robbie Keane last night announced he was leaving L.A. Galaxy after five hugely successful years stateside.
Since arriving in Los Angeles in 2011, the boy from Tallaght is widely regarded as the most influential European ever to compete in Major League Soccer.
He captained his side to three MLS Cups, an MLS Supporters' Shield, scored over 100 goals and generally became a legend to fans of the Californian club.
Along the way, himself, wife Claudine, 7-year-old Robert and baby Hudson have become part of the furniture in the City of Angels.
Here, we take a look at the times where Ireland's greatest ever striker and his family captured the hearts of the city which he has now described as his second home.
1. It took a while for Robbie to enter the American consciousness
Throwback to the time when Robbie Keane was captioned as 'unidentified fan'. pic.twitter.com/krSnnl4Ehs— Mãx (@NemanjaMaxic) June 13, 2016
2. But once he did, he captured the hearts of the public. Like when he consoled this little girl who idolised him
She was upset that he was injured...
3. Or when he led the team out to meet this young fan on Ellen
And presented him with a professional contract. His little face...
4. When he summed up the feelings of the whole of the United States on his team mate Landon Donovan
'I'd be pissed too...'
PISSED OFF, Robbie. Pissed means drunk where you come from. Don't forget that.
5. The Keane family loved hanging with Hollywood A-listers
They charmed everyone in sight...
Jamie Fox is such a great guy, Robert to a liking to his hat..🙈😜 pic.twitter.com/gOZmwzh5EM— Claudine Keane (@ClaudineKeane1) April 7, 2015
So much fun at mastros Malibu with Jamie king. Robert is talking about electro all day pic.twitter.com/lsZMEVmP18— Claudine Keane (@ClaudineKeane1) April 7, 2015
6. And footballing royalty
If Pelé and Robbie's talent rub off on Robert then Ireland's football future is in safe hands...
7. The adorable moment Robbie and Claudine told Robert he was going to be a big brother
And they collectively melted the coldest of hearts...
8. And when Robert interviewed his dad while cruising around sunny L.A.
9. When they all went off to the Grammys
Tis far from the Grammys ye were raised, lads...
10. When Robbie and his pal Steven Gerrard played a match against thirty kids
Not that they went easy on them...
11. And when the same pair pranked team mate Giovani Dos Santos
Robbie was clearly the ringleader TBH...
12. Robbie's bromance with Stevie G in general was a thing of beauty
Just a couple of guys...
13. Claudine's tributes to her husband, the city and the club
You will always be welcome back home folks...
Trending in LA and Ireland.To think as a young man from Dublin you would achieve so much👏🏻PROUD!Excited for our next adventure,bring it on👊🏻 https://t.co/ymGtmkIfND— Claudine Keane (@ClaudineKeane1) November 18, 2016
@LAGalaxythank for allthe fun times and embracing our family👌, you made us feel at home. LA became our second home, we will be back soon. pic.twitter.com/5w5B2ABSFZ— Claudine Keane (@ClaudineKeane1) November 18, 2016
14. And finally, Robbie's final farewell
No, YOU'RE crying
Robbie, Claudine, Robert and Hudson. All we can say is best of luck with your next move. You've all done Ireland proud.
READ NEXT: Robbie Keane Is To Part Ways With LA Galaxy