Search icon


18th Jan 2018

This Graphic Photo Of Eyelash Extensions Gone Wrong Will Convince You To ALWAYS Get A Patch Test


Look away now if the very thoughts of someones eyelids swollen shut makes you vom your morning porridge. 

Right, you had your warning. Here goes…

A news story from Canada of a girl who had a severe allergic reaction to eyelash glue used for applying eyelash extensions serves as a graphic reminder to always opt to take a patch test if going to a new salon. 

Isabelle Kun, a 20-year-old student from Ottawa, was left with swollen eyes and difficulty breathing after her beautician used a glue with unknown ingredients. 

Speaking to, Isabelle said that within an hour of the glue being applied her eyes had swollen uo. 

Overnight, her eyes and throat swelled so much that she couldn’t see and was having difficulty breathing 

Her girlfriend took her straight to the hospital where Isabelle was given an antihistamine and steroid intravenously to try to reduce the swelling but her eyes still have not fully gone down. 



“My eyes are actually even worse now. There’s like a sac of fluid under my eye now. It’s so gross,” Isabelle said. 

She is now on antihistamines at home to try to continue treating the reaction. 

Her advice for girls looking to fill out their lashes?

“Be very careful where you go. These people are dealing with your eyes, with your vision. I mean, this morning I woke up and I wondered if I would ever be able to see again,” she said.

Not that it’s put her off falsies… “I would want to do them again, but I will be going for allergy testing first, because I do love getting fake eyelashes.” Fair enough. 

READ NEXT: Parents In Ireland May Soon Be Able To Choose The Gender Of Their Baby