Last night the Just Eat National Takeaway Awards took place in the glamorous surroundings of Number Twenty Two on South Anne Street and the best purveyors of Irish takeaway dining were put on the pedestal they so greatly deserve.
This was the fifth annual event and this year was bigger and better than ever with two new categories, Best Takeaway Vegetarian and Best Takeaway Middle Eastern, with Umi Falafel, Dame Street and Zaytoon, Camden Street taking the crown.
Competitors from all over the country arrived at the colourful venue where there was a live saxophone player and DJ providing the tunes along with some tasty treats being served by the Just Eat Waiters.
Hosts Cassie Stokes and Jake Carter kept the banter spirits high while the awards were being dispensed.
— Cassie Stokes (@cassandrastokes) October 17, 2018
Some of the most common delivery debates were settled at the event, with Firehouse Pizza Dublin winning Best Takeaway in Dublin, Best Spice Bag going to Bamboo Court in Letterkenny, and Ireland's Best Takeaway being named Firehouse Pizza in Ballymun.
Among the things we learned was that the busiest day for takeaway orders in Ireland this year was the Monday after Electric Picnic, pretty sure we can all understand why.
One of the biggest reveals of the ceremony was Ireland's favourite dish of the year: The glorious Spice Bag.
Sadly the dish was unable to accept the award on the night.
We're beside ourselves! Best take away middle eastern food for our Camden street restaurant at the @JustEatIE awards!! ????????????????Thanks to all our Zaytooners who voted for us.♥️♥️♥️♥️ https://t.co/ZaHHpwqrl4 pic.twitter.com/8CTVx41Hgs
— Zaytoon (@Zaytoon_Dublin) October 16, 2018
This Wednesday seems to have a much bigger hump than usual and you've just discovered where the best takeaways in Ireland are... you know what you're doing for dinner tonight.
Here's a full list of last night's winners:
- Best Takeaway Chinese - Bamboo Court, Letterkenny
- Best Takeaway Indian - Bombay Pantry, Clonskeagh
- Best Takeaway Thai - Camile Thai, Phibsborough
- Best Takeaway Pizza - Firehouse Pizza, Ballymun
- Best Takeaway Vegetarian - Umi Falafel, Dame St
- Best Takeaway Chipper - Macari’s, Tallaght
- Best Takeaway Mexican - Burrito Loco, Letterkenny
- Best Takeaway Japanese - Zakura, Baggot Street
- Best Takeaway American - Five Guys, Dundrum
- Best Takeaway Middle Eastern - Zaytoon, Camden Street
- Best Takeaway Healthy - Camile Thai, Phibsborough
- Best Takeaway Lunchtime - Ramen, Wexford
- Best Takeaway Curry - San Sab, Drumcondra
- Best Takeaway Spice Bag - Bamboo Court, Letterkenny
- Best Takeaway Salad - Chopped, Dundrum
- Ireland’s Favourite Dish - Spice Bag
- Best Takeaway Dublin - Firehouse Pizza, Ballymun
- Best Takeaway Leinster - Ramen, Wexford
- Best Takeaway Munster - Lana Asian Street Food, Castletroy
- Best Takeaway Connaught - Crust Bucket, Galway
- Best Takeaway Ulster - Burrito Loco, Letterkenny
- Best Takeaway Ireland - Firehouse Pizza, Ballymun
Forks at the ready!