Interrailing is a rite of passage. Fact.
From next week people living in the EU will be able to apply for a free Inter-Rail ticket.
Yes, it really is FREE and no, this isn't a dream.
DiscoverEU is an intiative by the European Parliament with 15,000 tickets on offer with the aim of promoting the member states.
140 Irish people have the chance to win a pass allowing them to explore Europe, have a bit of craic and make a lot of great memories.
Applications for the scheme open on the 12th of June.
Before you start packing your bags there are a couple of requirements you need to meet in order to get your hands on the golden ticket.
You can only apply if you:
- are 18 years old on 1 July 2018 (born between 2 July 1999 and 1 July 2000 included);
- have the nationality of one of the 28 Member States of the European Union;
- fill in your ID or passport number on the online application form;
- start your journey in one of the EU 28 Member States;
- plan to start your travel between 9 July and 30 September 2018;
- plan to travel between 1 day and up to 30 days inclusive;
- plan to travel to at least 1 and up to 4 foreign country destinations within the EU;
- are willing to become a DiscoverEU Ambassador.
When and how to apply?
The application round will be open online from 12 June at 12:00 (CET) to 26 June 2018 at 12:00 (CET). Firstly, you will need to provide your personal data and give more details about the trip you are planning to make. Secondly, you will have to answer 5 quiz questions linked to the 2018 European Year of Cultural Heritage and EU youth initiatives targeting young people. Finally, you will have to answer a tie-breaker question, which will allow the European Commission to rank the applicants in case there are too many applications. Once selected, participants have to start travelling between 9 July and 30 September 2018.
If you meet all those requirements you're gravy so get applying and may the odds be ever in your favour.