A popular spot for swimming in Co Clare has been closed to the public over fears of bacterial contamination.
Kilkee beach has a bathing ban in place after a malfunction at the wastewater pump plant nearby, The Journal reports.
Signs posted at Kilkee yesterday warned swimmers of the ban, saying swimming was prohibited due to the “risk of increased bacterial levels due to a pump malfunction in the wastewater pump station”.
The ban is expected to be in place for up to four days.
In a statement to TheJournal.ie, Irish Water confirmed that a number of “operational electrical issues” were the cause of the out of action pumps.
“This led to a discharge of wastewater to the Victoria stream in Kilkee for a period of time,” a spokesperson added.