Close

Follow Lovin IE

Contingency plans are in place for this year's Junior and Leaving Cert exams

By James Fenton

April 8, 2020 at 2:35pm

Share:

Junior and Leaving Cert students will get clarity on the status of this year's state exams in the coming days, it has been announced today.

Assistant secretary general at the Department of the Taoiseach, Liz Canavan told reporters at this morning's government briefing that Education Minister Joe McHugh hopes to "give clarity about the Junior and Leaving Cert exams in the coming days."

Canavan said that "the government is focused on running both sets of exams, the Junior and Leaving Certs. The minister has also said he would prefer to see students get at least two weeks in school before they have to sit any exams."

She added that "contingency plans are under consideration and all decisions will be placed on the public health advice on what happens in relation to the current restrictions.

"The National Public Health Emergency Team will meet again on Friday and the minister hopes to be in a position to provide clarity in the coming days."

Last month, it was confirmed that the oral elements of language subjects would be cancelled, with all students achieving a 100% grade.

READ NEXT: The GAA is considering October or November All-Ireland finals this year

Share:

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Get the best of your city straight to your inbox.

I'd like to receive news and exclusive offers from Lovin IE including competitions, products, commercial partners and activities. By submitting this form you agree to our T&Cs and our privacy policy