One of London's oldest Irish Bars has closed its doors on 66 Fleet Street for the last time
You would think that Irish bars would be in demand over in London, given the number of emigres that fly over the Irish sea in search of more affordable housing, opportunities and the chance of a decent Guinness. But The Tipperary, one of the city's oldest and historic Irish bars has sadly closed its doors.
Fabled as one of the first to serve Guinness to Irish emigrants, the Grade II listed public house changed its name from the Boars Head after it was rebuilt following the Great Fire of London in 1666.
A stone's throw from St. Paul’s Cathedral on Fleet Street, The Tipperary was on Fleet Street one of the infamous Streets of Shame. During the 20th century, Fleet street was synonymous with the media and printing industry, with many of the national newspapers having their newsrooms there.
The Tipperary on Fleet Street, the self-declared oldest Irish pub in London has closed down. pic.twitter.com/NcFLbhZvL0
— ianVisits (@ianvisits) August 29, 2022
Through the years, The Tipperary was a well-known haunt for editors, and journalists, alongside barristers from the nearby courts.
A sign on the outside of the premises photographed by Ian Mansfield, reads that Equivo Limited (a "Collections & Field, Legal Services and Enforcement "company) acting for Whitefriars Limited re-entered and secured the premises under an Interim Possession Order issued in the County Court on August 9, 2022.
The owners of The Tipperary are at the time of writing yet to release a statement on the closure.