What Foods Are Safe To Eat Once Mouldy?
If you've ever wondered – here's the answer
Do you ever eat blue cheese and wonder why it's safe to eat mouldy cheese but not ok to eat mouldy bread or yogurt?
Well – in a nutshell – some moulds produce poisonous substances that can make you seriously sick.
Whereas others sit on the surface and, once scraped off, leave the food safe to eat.
1. Hard salami / chorizo
It’s actually normal for cured meats like these to develop mould over time – just scrape it off and work away.
2. Firm fruits
Firm fruits like bell peppers (yes, it’s technically a fruit) that have a low moisture content can still be eaten after mould appears. Just cut around the small mould spots and it should be good to go.
Softer fruits, such as peaches, should be tossed because the high moisture content means it can be contaminated below the surface.
3. Firm cheese
Ever take your block 'o' cheddar out of the fridge to find it speckled with mould?
Well, luckily for you your cheese is still entirely edible once you cut off the mould and roughly an inch around the mould!
Just be careful not to cross contaminate when removing mould.
4. Firm veggies
The likes of cabbage and carrots have really low moisture contents and can therefore by eaten after mould appears.
Again, just cut away the spot of mould and an inch around it.
As a rule, soft foods with high moisture contents, such cooked pasta, soft cheese, soft meats, yogurts, jams, breads and soft fruits and veg, should be tossed once mouldy.
Have you listened to the latest episode of Before Brunch yet? Subscribe here