Storm Babet: Army called to assist due to 'unprecedented' flooding in Cork

By Stephen Porzio

October 19, 2023 at 9:49am

Share:

Images shared online show cars nearly completely submerged by water in Cork.

The Irish Defence Forces have been deployed to Cork to provide aid as the county has seen "unprecedented" flooding due to Storm Babet.

Earlier in the week, the storm was named by the UK Met Office as Met Éireann stated that heavy rainfall was expected on Tuesday and Wednesday, especially across southern parts of the country.

This came to pass, with Cork in particular seeing "unprecedented" flooding, with several of its areas being described as "impassable".

These include the villages of Blackpool and Glanmire and the town of Midleton.

Storm Babet: Army called to Cork due to 'unprecedented' flooding.

Advertisement

In a statement, Mayor of the County of Cork Frank O’Flynn said:

"The Met Eireann Orange Rainfall warning, which has just expired, has resulted in a months’ worth of rain falling in just 24 hours. This is on top of already saturated lands and high river levels.

"It is evidence, if any were needed, of our changing climate and the issues that it presents. I am especially conscious of the advanced preparations that were undertaken by Cork County Council in mitigating the effects of this event and how, despite every effort, homes, businesses and road users have been impacted.

"Areas where flood defence schemes have been completed fared far better than others in the face of this deluge.

"I know from speaking with Council staff that some of the issues they are dealing with are unprecedented, with roads which have never flooded now under water."

The Mayor has called on those in Cork to "please avoid unnecessary travel" and also to take extreme care if they must set off on a journey and to consider "vulnerable road users, especially pedestrians and cyclists".

"As a Council, we will continue to work across the county, both in a preventative capacity while also dealing with issues as they arise," he added.

"The results of this weather event will be long felt as we move toward a clean up phase but can I please reiterate the importance of staying safe and together we will come through this weather event."

Advertisement

Images shared online from Cork show cars nearly completely submerged by water.

As reported by The Irish Examiner, Cork East TD James O’Connor stated that members of the Irish Defence Forces were to be deployed to the county to provide aid amid the flooding from Storm Babet.

“Following severe flooding caused by heavy rainfall, I understand that the Defence Forces will be deployed to provide emergency assistance to Cork County Council," he said.

In a statement to JOE on the matter, a spokesperson for the Irish Defence Forces confirmed:

"The DF have deployed personnel to Midleton in response to a request from the Local Authority. The extent of the DF response will be based on continued requests from relevant Local Authorities.

"DF Transport and Engineer assets can assist with transporting people from affected areas."

Advertisement

Header images via Twitter/CorkCityCouncil

This article originally appeared on joe.ie 

READ NEXT: 

- Audience applications open for Patrick Kielty's inaugural Late Late Toy Show

Advertisement
Share:
Advertisement