Anyone who’s spent time any at parties they didn’t like, or obligatory occasions they really thought about not turning up to – will know the true and fearless beauty of an Irish Exit.
Known also as an ‘Irish Goodbye’, the method is a tactic used to slip out of a party without causing a fuss.
It means that you don’t have to be pressured into staying longer, or hazed for leaving early. And its dreamy gratification bestowed upon the person performing the routine is instantaneous.
So, what makes it so bloody popular?
1. You can happily go home without being stopped
”Ah, you’ll stay for another. Go on go on go on go on go on”
2. You don’t interfere with proceedings in the least
Ain’t no party like an Irish Exit party cause an Irish Exit party don’t stop!
3. You can avoid all of the people you said you were going to catch up with
Because whoever says they enjoy small talk, is blatantly lying.
You’re like the dentist whose always wanting to make small talk while their hands are in my mouth…fukin annoying
— that’s JODi with an “i” (@allmyvents) January 18, 2017
4. You can leave alone, and not be responsible for giving lifts to half the party
People can be so draining.
#WaysToLeaveYourLover The Irish Goodbye
— Has actually read The Grapes of Wrath (@CanSuchThingsBe) January 15, 2017
5. By leaving the party with no mess, attention or backlash – you’re fitting into the ‘ideal party clientele’ bracket
6. Especially if you feel rubbish, want to avoid someone there for whatever reason, or feel that it would generally be better for one and all if you left
On Halloween I pulled an Irish exit and then facetimed my friends to let them know I made it home safe as well as to coach me thru my vomit
— tupac’s nose ring. (@syrASTOTLE) January 16, 2017
7. It’s a miracle you even went to the party anyway!
Also known as ‘the Irish exit’ https://t.co/vwbwmAVECX
— oisin (@oisin) January 16, 2017
8. You’re doing yourself a favour
And how often do we get to do that in this day and age?
9. And sometimes, it’s just nice to see if you can get away with it
10. It’s also especially good if you drank way too much and need to get outta there ASAP
11. And even though it’s not always easy…
I’m a big fan of the Irish goodbye.
But I’m realizing it doesn’t work out as well when it’s your house.
— Joe Kaiser (@Joe_P_Kaiser) January 15, 2017
12. It’s always, always worth it
The Irish Goodbye is absolutely incredible. It has changed my life for the better
— Corey (@C_Gunz617) January 1, 2017