Apparently, the recent wet weather we've been having has been the perfect excuse for ants to relocate in our Irish homes.
Ireland’s leading pest control provider, Rentokil, has released a survey outlining the top ten counties in Ireland with the highest ant infestations.
Dublin is number one of the list, with nearly one-third of all their call outs going to homes in the capital and is followed closely by the Kingdom who is just a couple of percent off the top spot.
The Top ten ant-infested counties are as follows:
- Dublin - 29%
- Kerry - 25%
- Cork - 10%
- Kildare - 7%
- Galway - 5%
- Tipperary - 4%
- Wicklow - 4%
- Waterford - 4%
- Westmeath - 3%
- Roscommon - 3%
Ants can relocate their entire colony in just one day so whether it's a shower or torrential, there's a good chance these creatures could nestle into your home.
Technical Manager at Rentokil, Dr. Colm Moore, has given these tips as a must-guide for dealing with ants in your home.
- Clear up - food and liquid spillages immediately.
- Sweep up - any food crumbs from under your kitchen appliances and units.
- Store your food - in airtight containers wherever possible.
- If you have a pet - clear away any food that isn’t eaten straight away.
- Block off - the entry points for ants by sealing all cracks and crevices around your doors and window frames.
As well as this, he stated that boiling water and/or vinegar will not get rid of ants so don't bother trying.
Something to keep in mind over the summer.