After rumours and reports began circulating earlier in the week that Conor McGregor had allegedly punched an associate of the Kinehan gang in a Crumlin pub on Sunday night, a crime writer has come out and stated that the MMA star could be in danger.
Several media outlets reported on a "celebrity sports star" being involved in the altercation during the week, although Gardai have not yet offically confirmed his involvement.
Now crime writer and Newstalk presenter Paul Williams said on air today that he believes McGregor is in a very dangerous position.
"I have to say that Conor McGregor is in a very dangerous place right now," he said.
"He has come into conflict through probably no fault of his own, with a group of very, very dangerous people who are tied up with the Kinahans.
"These people do not care who Conor McGregor is, what he stands for, how powerful he is - they will drag him down into the cesspit."
"I would say, in the next 48 hours, if he is still in the country - and I understand that he may have left the country for a few days - but if he is still in the country, I understand from my sources that the Gardaí will be approaching him to give him a GIM form, which is a Garda Information Message, which is basically to tell him that there may be threats to his safety," said Williams.
McGregor posted an Instagram with the caption "the celebrity" in what appears to be mocking media reports referring to him as such
"This is a huge story, and imagine what it would do to our national reputation if this sporting icon was attacked by a bunch of gangsters", Williams added.