A lot of us grew up in a good, Irish-sized family. Not content with having four or five siblings, about 30 cousins made every family gathering seem like a fecking music festival.
To be fair the craic was usually ninety and we wouldn't have it any other way.
Are you in the same boat? You should be able to recognise the following:
1. Sleepovers generally consisted of about 25 people
The floor would be covered.
2. You all had a favourite uncle or aunty who had no kids of their own
They'd let you all away with murder.
3. There's always a kids' table at every occasion
And the parents were delighted.
4. You were all generally left to mind each other
Too many kids for your folks to focus on.
5. Everyone wore 'hand-me-downs'
That Air Jordan t-shirt from 1992 is now a family heirloom.
6. And school books were rarely bought
Which was great cos your cousin had written all the answers.
7. The youngest cousins were always ganged up on
8. But older cousins were always bragged about
They were just so cool.
9. Inside jokes last forever
Remember that time Aunty Mary fell over at that funeral? Gas.
10. You broke so many rules on car journeys
Six in the back and not a seatbelt in sight.
11. The adults never got your name right
It was hard tbf.
12. God bless anyone who started on any of you
One for all and all for one.
13. As adults, the sessions are mighty
They don't happen often but when they do they go on all night.
14. But sadly, you're not guaranteed an invite to a wedding
There's just too many of you.