An Indian restaurant in Co. Donegal has been served with a food closure order after a "pond of excrement" was found near cooking utensils.
The pool of faeces was the result of an overflowing manhole beside an outdoor shed where staff prepared food at Saffron restaurant and takeaway in Creeslough.
A report from the Food Safety Authority of Ireland said “human excrement was overflowing and ponding in an area beside the shed in which the potato peeler was located due to an overflowing manhole”.
The report also mentioned that staff would stand in the excrement in order to use the potato peeler, subsequently “carrying it into the food premises on their shoes”.
This wasn't the only issue the FSAI found with the establishment, also noting “dirt, mould and encrusted food” throughout the premises and "black mould" in the food on the fridge.
The closure order was lifted on October 27th, but has come to light in the FSAI's latest report.