27 Reasons We Should Welcome The North Into A United Ireland With Open Arms
Now don't get mad, but let's put it out there...
In the few weeks that have passed since Brexit, the chatter around a united Ireland has stepped up considerably.
Enda Kenny and Micheal Martin have said that a poll is likely at some stage and the idea seems to be gathering momentum.
Not everybody is convinced that it would be a good idea, of course, and they'd definitely have an argument to make. But we thought we'd have a look at some of the benefits that Northern Ireland could bring to the South... y'know... should we be interested.
Hard to argue with these...
1. We'd have the best golfer in the world
2. We could add to our list of amazing tourists attractions
3. We could say the Game Of Thrones was filmed 'here'
And not feel guilty about it.
4. We'd have our very own crisp cafe
5. And we'd be the home to the most famous ship ever built
6. Soda farls
Because nothing tops one of these dripping in butter.
7. We'd add a few international music stars to our ranks
8. Hundreds of miles of additional unblemished coastline
9. Because the Belfast City Hall looks exactly like all city halls should
10. We'd be able to pit Queen's University and Trinity directly against one another
11. Because any country that invented Boojum should get our vote
12. And there'd be hundreds more gorgeous ancient castles
Not that we're short or anything...
13. We'd have loads of new phrases to add to our vocabulary
14. With two footballs teams to combine into one, we'd have a better chance of winning stuff
15. Amazing icons of culture and writing, from the likes of CS Lewis to Seamus Heaney
16. We'll be able to say we had one of the greatest footballers of all time
17. The Ulster Fry – better than the southern equivalent?
Controversial we know – but with potato bread and soda farls, these are possibly even better than the full Irish we know in the south.
18. Pubs that look like this one that would raise our overall hospitality levels
19. We'll have even more really good whiskey to drink
20. Ireland would finally have its very own Apple store
21. We wouldn't have to go back to having a border
22. We'd get a second Tayto brand. Slightly different but still as nice
23. Thousands of stunning buildings with beautiful architecture
24. We'd have even more world class golf-courses
Sure we'd have to if we had all those extra top-class golfers.
25. Liam Neeson. Enough said
26. An extra bank holiday every July
27. All things considered we can safely say there are tons of reasons we'd welcome a United Ireland with open arms!
The nature of Irish 'Lickarsery' and Harry Styles' sexuality... listen to the latest episode of Before Brunch. Subscribe here