Close

Follow Lovin IE

  • Home /

  • News /

  • A Teenager Has Died After Consuming Too Much Caffeine

A Teenager Has Died After Consuming Too Much Caffeine

By mariemadden

May 16, 2017 at 10:51am

Share:

A teenager in the US has died after consuming too much caffeine in a short period of time.

The 16-year-old student drank a latte, a fizzy drink and an energy drink over the course of two hours but later died from heart failure.

According to BBC News, Davis Allen Cripe from South Carolina had no pre-existing heart conditions and the cause of death was designated as "caffeine-induced cardiac event causing a probable arrhythmia".

"This is not a caffeine overdose," Mr Watts told Reuters.

"We're not saying that it was the total amount of caffeine in the system, it was just the way that it was ingested over that short period of time, and the chugging of the energy drink at the end was what the issue was with the cardiac arrhythmia."

READ NEXT: Careful - These Laptops Are Recording Everything You Type

Share:

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Get the best of your city straight to your inbox.

I'd like to receive news and exclusive offers from Lovin IE including competitions, products, commercial partners and activities. By submitting this form you agree to our T&Cs and our privacy policy